Hi everyone! Last week, we looked at the Vegetable Herb Pasta Salad, which was super healthy and easy to make. This week, we’ll take a look at the Smoked Salmon Burger by Chef Joanne Lusted. We featured this in our July 4th recipe booklet- now posted here for your convenience!
Smoked Salmon Burger
You are going to want to get the following ingredients:
– 10 oz boneless, skinless wild salmon fillets, cut into chunks
– 3 oz wild smoked salmon, cut into chunks
– 1 yellow onion, grated
– 3 cloves garlic, minced (divided into groups of 2 cloves and 1 clove)
– 1/2 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
– 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill (divided into groups of 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp)
– 4 tsp Dijon mustard (divided into groups of 2 tsp and 2 tsp)
– 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (divided into groups of 1 tbsp and 1 tbsp)
– 3/4 tsp fresh ground pepper (divided into groups of 1/2 tsp and 1/4 tsp)
– Dash of hot sauce
– 1.2 cup 2% plain Greek Yogurt
– 2 tsp capers, drained and chopped
– Cooking oil
– Olive oil cooking spray
– 4 whole-grain buns, split
– 2 cups spring lettuce mix
– 2 vine-ripened tomatoes
– 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
You may notice that some ingredients are divided into groups. We will use the first group to put our patties together and the second group will be used for our sauce.
Be sure to have the following on hand:
– Food Processor
– A Baking Sheet (For refrigerating the patties)
– Some bowls (For preparing and storing the aoili)
– Some Cooking oil or a Non-stick pan
– A grill
Now that we have everything we need, its time to start cooking!
1.) In a food processor, put together salmon, yellow onion, 2 cloves garlic, 1 tbsp dill, 2 tsp Dijon, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 1/2 tsp pepper, and hot sauce until finely chopped; do not over mix.
2.) Shape mixture into four 1/2-inch thick patties.
3.) Transfer to a large, parchment-lined baking sheet. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or overnight. (The mixture will firm up in the refrigerator)
4.) Meanwhile, prepare the aoili (the sauce which will go on top of the burger). In a small bowl, whisk together yogurt, capers, remaining 1 clove garlic, 2 tbsp dill, 2 tsp Dijon, 1 tbsp lemon juice, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Cover and refrigerate.
5.) Heat an outdoor grill to medium-high and lightly oil grate with cooking oil (non stick grill pans work just as well). Mist patties on both sides with cooking spray and grill for about 10 minutes, turning halfway, until an instant-read thermometer registers 145 F when inserted in the center.
Just before patties are finished cooking, grill buns cut side down until golden brown.
6.) Divide lettuce, patties, aioli, tomatoes, and red onion evenly between buns.
If you want weekly healthy recipes or workout exercises, be sure to follow our newsletter! You can watch us make some of these recipes over here!